PSWA 5.0 upgrade causes Set-Location to no longer work in startup script

I had previously setup PSWA 4.0 that executed a profile.ps1 script at logon to resize the console, add snapins, and drop the user into a UNC network location where the scripts are contained. I upgraded to PS 5.0 on Friday and now when users login, all elements of the script work EXCEPT Set-Location. I have tried to cd to a local path instead of UNC, which also did not work. There are no errors or warnings. If I execute the startup script after I am already logged in to the PSWA, it executes properly and changes to the UNC path. Has anyone else noticed this?

I’ve yet to put PowerShell 5.0 on a PSWA server. That said, in a situation such as this, I’d check the event logs. Check the Windows PowerShell log, as well as Microsoft-Windows-PowerShell and especially Microsoft-Windows-PowerShellWebAccess. I assume that when you say “a profile.ps1 script,” that you’re referring to a StartUpScript .ps1 file. I’d be tempted to add a line (below) to the top of the StartUpScript file that searched for the Set-Location command. Maybe even add it in between each of the other things your .ps1 file is successfully completing.

“Set-Location Command: $([bool](Get-Command -Name Set-Location))”

Thanks for your reply Tommy. First let me say that you actually helped me setup my PSWA (indirectly) after I stumbled upon your other solution for https://powershell.org/forums/topic/powershell-web-access-vs-ad-cmdlet/. I actually ended up just making a separate PS Config for each user on my PSWA (about 5 users) and then set each one with -RunAsCredential, and they are now able to run both AD and Quest AD cmdlets in PSWA without error.

When I added the “Set-Location Command: $([bool](Get-Command -Name Set-Location))” command to the startupscript, I can no longer sign in and it errors out. I modified it and just simply added “Get-Command Set-Location” the startup, and I receive no output, as if it doesn’t exist at startup. However, once the startup finishes and I type the command manually, it shows as expected.

It is pretty strange, and it almost seems like the command is simply not there at logon, but is there after logon. I have looked through the logs and was unable to find anything obvious (there were no errors, and few warnings) Do you have any other thoughts? I am also wondering if a workaround like adding set-location or cd to the pssc file.

Just as an update, I tried to completely uninstall PSWA and reinstall in case something was added to the install feature in Posh 5.0, no luck. I also tried to add “Import-Module Microsoft.PowerShell.Management” since set-location is a part of that module in case it was loading that immediately during startup and still no luck.

I even went as far as putting the set-location command into another script and then calling that script at the end of my startup script, also with no luck.