Print out IE settings with PS and .NET

by sirampersand at 2012-08-28 08:06:20

Hello !

I often need to troubleshoot webapplications, specialy some which use active x or scripts that want to open or download files (pdfs, docx, etc.), run navigation trees, often using plugins or add-ons.
Sometimes you find a machine where it works as expected and you´re lucky.
Theoreticaly you have “only” to compare all settings to the machine where it doesn´t work and you can fix. The problem is that there is such a buch of settings in the popups of “extras/internetoptions/advanced”* and also in “internetoptions/security/security level”* - difficult to overwiev - allways have to scroll arround - bäh !
Printing out IE settings with PS and .NET in 2 lists as text and compare them afterwards would save so much time and would be so cool tracking changes, could also done remote in the background…
Dot Net must be the key!
Has someone ideas how to realize that? I did allready some PS scripting, but often lost in the infinite space of dot net objects.
Thanks for any help
Ampi

*I hope you know what I mean because I translated it (have no english windows version to look at)
by DonJ at 2012-08-28 12:44:16
I’m not aware of how to do this one, sorry - .NET can indeed be intimidating, but I’m not sure there’s a specific class related to IE configuration as you’ve specified.
by poshoholic at 2012-08-28 19:32:02
You can find a lot of Internet Explorer settings in the Windows Registry.

For example, look at the results of these two commands:

[script=powershell]Get-ChildItem ‘HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones’ | Get-ItemProperty
Get-ChildItem ‘HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones’ | Get-ItemProperty[/script]
Those will show you the settings for the various zones on the system. One level up from there is the root of all Internet Settings on the system, so you can browse through that with the Registry provider in PowerShell to find the particular entries that you care about.

If you want to snapshot internet settings for comparison between two different systems, it seems that the Registry would be the place to start. Since the data you need seems to be in the Registry, you probably don’t even have to get into .NET directly for what you want to track.
by sirampersand at 2012-08-29 07:47:42
Thanks for that hint.

Working with the Registry is probably a way but even more settings to chek then with the gui. I thougth setting are easier to read out.
But maybe it helps!
Amp