Output a Command to a Variable(file) to be run later

Hi Folks,
I’m trying to get powershell to output a command to a variable, so that the file will contain the code line (ie. not run it there and then, but have it build a file of powershell commands. But, I can’t for the life of me, figure out how to get it to do that. The line of code works fine when ‘run’ but not when I try and output it to a variable. I know it’s a matter of formatting and escaping some quotes etc, but I’ve tried so many combinations I’m going crazy! Can anyone help?

This line works, and updates the bindings. But, I don’t want to update bindings now, I want to out the line of code to a variable (a file) and run the file later on.

$Output += Set-ItemProperty IIS:\sites\$($Node.name).domain.com -name bindings -value @{protocol="http";bindingInformation="$($Node.value):80:$($node.Name)-$NodeNumber.domain.com"}

But when I enclose it in quotation marks, so that the whole line is output to the variable it doesn’t work:

$Output += "Set-ItemProperty IIS:\sites\$($Node.name).domain.com -name bindings -value @{protocol="http";bindingInformation="$($Node.value):80:$($node.Name)-$NodeNumber.domain.com"}"

I’ve tried escaping everything but the variables etc, and no luck!
I’m stuck :frowning: HELP ?!!!

Hi,

If you are planning on calling it later on, i think maybe a Function would better suit your purpose? Although i will stand to be corrected when the wizards get here :wink:

function Output { *script here* } 

You can then call the function at any point.

hey thanks for the tip, but I what I need it to do is to create a file, and I will run that file later on - not part of the same script.
So, the script I am trying to get working will loop through an XML file, and create new bindings for sites in the XML. The script will create a file (eg. update-bindings.ps1) that I can use on the server later.

So the file would look like:

Set-ItemProperty IIS:\sites\$($Node.name).domain.com -name bindings -value bla bla bla
Set-ItemProperty IIS:\sites\$($Node.name).domain.com -name bindings -value bla bla bla

That’s my need for this example !
THANKS!

I edited my original post to fix the code to be between PRE tags, and now the original post has dissappeared?
Is there any way to get it back? Or I need to start again?