How to copy paste code in powershell 5

I want o run code in powershell 5 installed wjindows server 2016 to show be ayatem uptime.How to save script from current powershell terminal and get the answer. for example
function Get-Uptime {
$os = Get-WmiObject win32_operatingsystem
$uptime = (Get-Date) - ($os.ConvertToDateTime($os.lastbootuptime))
$Display = “Uptime: " + $Uptime.Days + " days, " + $Uptime.Hours + " hours, " + $Uptime.Minutes + " minutes”
Write-Output $Display
}
I want the exact steps to execute this in powershell.

Hi,
I’m not sure if I understand your question but if you want to run the function just save it in a .ps1 file and call the function:

function Get-Uptime {
 $os = Get-WmiObject win32_operatingsystem
 $uptime = (Get-Date) – ($os.ConvertToDateTime($os.lastbootuptime))
 $Display = "Uptime: " + $Uptime.Days + " days, " + $Uptime.Hours + " hours, " + $Uptime.Minutes + " minutes"
 Write-Output $Display
 }
Get-Uptime

Then open a powershell window and run the script: .\uptime.ps1

yes I was able to run it that way as you have mentioned.In one of the online tutorials I had seen the cutting and pasting of the code in the powershell console itself which means a >> symbol after every line of code.We need to press ctrl+c to get out of this mode?!Can we call the function without saving it to a file?

you can copy paste the complete function into a powershell window and press enter to run it. This will only load the function into the current session. You can run the function by typing get-uptime in the console window.

PS C:> function Get-Uptime { $os = Get-WmiObject win32_operatingsystem $uptime =
(Get-Date) – ($os.ConvertToDateTime($os.lastbootuptime)) $Display = “Uptime: " + $Upt
ime.Days + " days, " + $Uptime.Hours + " hours, " + $Uptime.Minutes + " minutes” Writ
e-Output $Display }Get-Uptime
You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.
At line:1 char:26

• … Uptime { $os = Get-WmiObject win32_operatingsystem $uptime = (Get- …
  •             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:slight_smile: , RuntimeException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

I am getting the above error when I run the script in powershell. I am able to run it successfully on powershell ise. what is the above error pointing to?