How to configure an SCCM Server with DSC

Hi,

I have a question about configuring an SCCM server with DSC. I currently have a configuration file that includes all of the requirements

I execute that with the following type of script

[b]Install-WindowsFeature -ConfigurationFilePath d:\ConfigurationFiles\ADCSConfigFile.xml[/b

If I wanted to do this with DSC instead (I am about to do a new deployment with quite a few servers) is there a way for me to include that configuration file in the DSC

IF NOT

how do I include all of the sub features needed? For example IIS has a bunch of SUB features under it. I don’t need it all because that could make it not work. I just need to select the sub features I need

Hi,

Not sure where you are in your DSC learning journey. You will need to declare your Configuration from scratch. You can look at the XML to find out which feature names are being used and create the Configuration script. I can highly recommend to watch the Microsoft Virtual Academy course for PowerShell DSC with Jeffrey Snover and Jason Helmick.

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/getting-started-with-powershell-desired-state-configuration-dsc-

Example configuration:

Configuration WebServer {

WindowsFeature 'Web-Server' {
        Name = 'Web-Server'
        Ensure = 'Present'
    }

WindowsFeature 'Web-Windows-Auth' {
        Name = 'Web-Windows-Auth'
        Ensure = 'Present'
        DependsOn = '[WindowsFeature]Web-Server'
    }

WindowsFeature 'Web-DAV-Publishing' {
        Name = 'Web-DAV-Publishing'
        Ensure = 'Present'
        DependsOn = '[WindowsFeature]Web-Server'
    }
}

Regards
Daniel

Hi Daniel - Thanks for your response and example it really helped me out. I also figured out that I can go a

get-windowsfeature | ogv

To figure out the names of the sub features I need.