Help creating a function

Hi,

I am trying to create a function that will test/validate a command and am having issues getting it working correctly. What I am looking to do is test to see if I can query/run a command to see if the Windows Firewall is Enabled or Disabled.

Here is what I have:

function Test-TargetResourse
{
    param
    (
        [parameter(Mandatory = $true)]
        [ValidateNotNullOrEmpty()]
        [System.String]
        $Enabled,

[System.String]
        [ValidateSet("True", "False")]
        $Ensure = "True"
    )

$firewalls = (Get-NetFirewallProfile | select -expand $enabled)

if($Ensure -eq 'False')
    {
        return ($firewalls.Enabled -eq "False")
    }
    else
    {
        return ($firewalls.Enabled -eq "True")
    }
}

If I run this in ISE nothing happens, no Red no nothing. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Are you loading the function before trying to use it?

. C:\path-to-function\Test-TargetResource.ps1

Next, you should -ExpandProperty Enabled, not $enabled.

Finally, you’re expecting a mandatory parameter of $Enabled that you are setting to $true, but then casting as a string. Why are you doing that?

that’s all unnecessary.

function Test-TargetResourse
{

param($computername)

$firewall = (Get-NetFirewallProfile -name domain -CimSession $computername | select enabled)

$firewall

}

[bool]((Get-NetFirewallProfile -name domain).enabled -eq ‘True’)

It looks like Dan has the correct response here. Either one of his replies should work on Windows 8.1 and up or Server 2012 and up. To do the second one on a remote computer, You can do this:

Invoke-Command -ComputerName PCNameHere -ScriptBlock {[bool]((Get-NetFirewallProfile -name domain).enabled -eq 'True')}

The first solution you posted looks like it gets all firewall rules and not just if the Firewall is enabled or not. One thing to be sure of before you start building a script is to make sure you are using the correct cmdlet. Start by getting the information you need first and then start to build the function.

Thank You all