Get-MobileDevice cmdlet showing odd UserDisplayName

I have a script that connects to the ActiveSync service and queries for any device currently sitting in quarantine. It then ports that information into a CSV file, capturing the identity, devicetype, userdisplayname, and deviceid fields for each user. Normally the UserDisplayName column shows the first and last name of the employee associated with that activesync device. Today, however, I noticed that, for one of the entries, the employee name in the UserDisplayName column has been replaced by NAMPR02A002.prod.outlook.com. Ran a Google search but could find nothing on this. Has anyone encountered this before? If so, what causes it?

Not reeeeally a PowerShell question so much as an Exchange one, but I’ll guess that the device in question isn’t associated with a user?

Don, that’s what I thought but the identity field shows the employee’s name. So, on some level, Activesync sees this device as associated with a particular user.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.

No need to apologize - it’s just that I’m not sure you’ll get a good answer here. Totally understand that you’re using PowerShell, but the problem is in Exchange/ActiveSync itself, and I in particular just am not a guru on those products. I don’t know if there’s an Exchange forum out there that might be more useful, but of course we can see if someone with more Exchange knowledge jumps in here.

This is what I always tell folks - PowerShell’s easy. It’s all the stuff PowerShell “touches” that’s hard [grin].

It’s doing the same thing for me.

I would open a ticket with MS.