Forum issue

I can’t seem to get back into my forum post about Base64 encoding.

Could it be because I put a ? in the topic?

I’m having no problems accessing the post at https://powershell.org/forums/topic/is-base64-the-same-as-encryption/.

When I try to view that topic, I get a blank page. I was able to access it and post a reply through the WP admin interface, but not the usual links.

Tried it from Chrome as well, same result. The HTML body is blank:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

Interesting results:

Invoke-WebRequest -Uri 'https://powershell.org/forums/topic/is-base64-the-same-as-encryption/'

results in an error: Invoke-WebRequest : The remote server returned an error: (414) Request-URI Too Long.

I tried creating a topic with the maximum 80-character title length just now, and it works fine:

Invoke-WebRequest -Uri 'https://powershell.org/forums/topic/testing-a-very-long-post-title-testing-a-very-long-post-title-testing-a-very/'

I created a topic with the same title in the Website Feedback forum and got the same result, but another test post with a title ending in ? worked fine. Very odd.

Anyhow, I’ll try editing the title of your post through the admin interface until it shows up for me, sid. That should hopefully get it working for you as well.

Thanks for the info. And, while the troubleshooting is definitely appreciated, please check with me before doing so in the future. We do have a mailing list of folks who get pinged every time there’s a new post, and if we’re going to be testing, I’d like the opportunity to shut off the emails while doing so, to avoid irritating everyone.

I’m still able to access the original post, from several devices. I’m going to chalk this one up to “random oddity” for now.

Seems to be working now. I changed both the URL and the title of the post (not sure which was the culprit). The new link is https://powershell.org/forums/topic/base-64-versus-encryption/

Edit: Looks like the post URL was the culprit. I’ve been able to reproduce the Invoke-WebRequest errors with any URL that contains the string “base64” in the topic name, and tried changing the link on one of my existing posts to verify it. Same behavior in IE when I did that, and it went back to normal when I changed the link back.