Error copying xPendingReboot Module to nodes (event id 4104)

I am getting a error (event id 4104) in the DSC Operational log saying:

This event indicates that failure happens when LCM is trying to get the configuration from pull server using download manager NULL. ErrorId is 0x6. ErrorDetail is Module file xPendingReboot did not contain a module with required version 0.2.0.0.

The issue is that the zipped module is definitely version 0.2.0.0 as it is the only xPendingReboot module version I have on the DSC Pull server. I do see it is getting copied to the nodes and is in the modules folder ‘C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules’ but then this error happens and DSC stops. My mofs are never processed/run. Here is the file information:

Info on Pull server:
Path: C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\DscService\Modules
Name: xPendingReboot_0.2.0.0.zip
Checksum: xPendingReboot_0.2.0.0.zip.checksum

Has anyone seen this before? I have been trying to find some info on this but there is not much out there.

Thanks,

What does the folder structure inside your zip file look like? One gotcha is that PSv5 will install modules into a versioned subfolder (eg, C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\xPendingReboot\0.2.0.0), but you don’t want that 0.2.0.0 folder in your zip file. Your zip should have:

xPendingReboot
    xPendingReboot.psd1
    DSCResources
        SomeResourceName
            SomeResourceName.schema.mof
            SomeResourceName.psm1
# etc

Thanks Dave that may be it. When I install/download the xPendingReboot module it does have a 0.2.0.0 folder under the root of xPendingReboot. Let me rip that out and try again.

That fixed it, removing the version number folder (0.2.0.0 in this case) from the zip and putting its content of the root of the XPendingReboot folder allowed for it to be copied and processed correctly.

It’s a little crazy that the modules come with the version folder and we have to rip them out prior to zipping up.

I appreciate the assistance.

Yeah, it’s a bit odd. The DSC versioning stuff existed before they added support for side-by-side module installations in PS5.