Endless reboot

I have a server that is in an endless reboot (rebooting about every 5 minutes).

Is it possible to find out which resource is causing the reboot? I’ve checked the DSC event log and I can’t see anything specific.

Job {D0DC5B75-D9F5-11E5-8202-005056A84384} :
WarningMessage A reboot is scheduled to progress further. Configuration will be continued after the reboot.

So I’ve run Trace-xDscOperation and came up with the log below.

It’s start to apply the partial config…the provides a list of resources it’s about to process and finally says a reboot is required. I can’t work out exactly what resource is requesting the reboot.

TESTSERVER01 OPERATIONAL 23/02/2016 8:43:04 PM Starting to apply partial configuration [PartialConfiguration]MyConfig.
TESTSERVER01 OPERATIONAL 23/02/2016 8:43:04 PM Resource execution sequence :: [Registry]BlahBlah…x20 resources list here…
TESTSERVER01 OPERATIONAL 23/02/2016 8:58:55 PM WarningMessage A reboot is scheduled to progress further. Configuration will be continued after the reboot.

Did you look/enable the analytic and debug logs?

Also, you could try inserting some logging into the DSC config

Log AfterFWRuleFileCopy 
        {
            # The message below gets written to the Microsoft-Windows-Desired State Configuration/Analytic log
            Message = "Finished running the file resource with ID FW Rule File copy"
            DependsOn = "[File]FWRuleFilecopy"
        }

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/dsc/logresource

This way you can tell the node to write a event to the Analytic log.

Hi Ed, yes I’ve enabled and looked in debug and the analytic logs. No luck with them.

Thanks for the process of elimination idea.