DSC

Hello,

I’m trying to set up a pullserver following the DSC book step by step, kb2883200 is insatlled on both windows 8.1 and server 2012 r2 (installed from eval ISOs and fully updated).
However, I keep getting this error:

PowerShell provider MSFT_xDSCWebService failed to execute Set-TargetResource functionality with error message: ERROR: C:\Windows\Sys tem32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer\hu\Microsoft.Powershell.DesiredStateConfiguration.Service .Resources.dll does not exist + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [], CimException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ProviderOperationExecutionFailure + PSComputerName : testpull1.test.com

The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (root/Microsoft/…gurationManager:String) , CimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 1
+ PSComputerName : testpull1.test.com

What can go wrong if all the requirements are fulfilled?

There are two pieces to setting up a pull server. The first requires you to actually install the DSC Pull Server role on the server. Then, you can configure the role. Both steps can be accomplished in a single DSC configuration, but you have to have a DependsOn so that the role is installed first. The DSC Book’s example does this. Did you ensure you did the same?

Yes, I’ve run the same config script as in the book. I’ll try tomorrow with fresh VMs again, who knows!

On my Pull Server that file lives in C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer\en . My Google-Fu tells me that HU stands for the Hungarian language. It is possible this is just a language localization issue. Are you able to install the English version? If so, does that work?

Thank you for your replys! I installed the English eval but set the keyboard imput to Hungarian. Modifying the language and imput settings didn’t help so I’ll do a clean and purely English install. This must be the problem since I’ve got the 2883200 update, the wave 3 modules and everything else right.

Installing servers with purely English language and keyboard settings solved the problem. Now I have my pull server and everything works fine, thank you!

Don or someone else, is that a bug that should be entered into Connect?

Dunno. Shouldn’t be - I’d need to try and repro that before I’d call it a bug.

Just ran into the same problem.

PowerShell provider MSFT_xDSCWebService  failed to execute Set-TargetResource functionality with error message: ERROR:
C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer\da\Microsoft.Powershell.Desir
edStateConfiguration.Service.Resources.dll does not exist
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ProviderOperationExecutionFailure
    + PSComputerName        : localhost

The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (root/Microsoft/...gurationManager:String) [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 1
    + PSComputerName        : localhost

Thought I would be smart just copying the “en” folder to “da” - well didn’t get an error, though the PullServer doesn’t seem to be configured correctly (see attachment)

Let me get back if everything in fact is working.

If you don’t wanna take chances, just set the language to English. It worked for me.

Language is English but with Danish region. Everything seems to work so I am a happy camper :slight_smile:

Best regards Stig

I’ve got the same issue in a fresh Win2016 Eng from Azure :)))

[DC1]: LCM: [ End Set ] [[xDSCWebService]PSDSCHTTPSPullServer] in 0.0460 seconds. PowerShell DSC resource MSFT_xDSCWebService failed to execute Set-TargetResource functionality with error message: ERR OR: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer\en\Microsoft.Powershell.D esiredStateConfiguration.Service.Resources.dll does not exist

But there’s no such directory: “…v1.0\modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration\PullServer<strong>en”.
The one that exists is: “en-US

So it hasn’t been fixed for 3 years at least :slight_smile: