DSC getting stuck while installing .exe file

Hi Guys,

I’m executing below script on my machine it is getting stuck with the below error can anyone help me out with this correct me with the steps to install .exe file.

SCRIPT
Configuration NotePadPlus

{
Node localhost
{
Package NotePadPlus{
Ensure = ‘Present’
Path = ‘C:\DSC\Softwares\npp.7.5.1.Installer.x64.exe’
Name = ‘Notepad++’
ProductID = ‘’
Arguments = ‘\q’
LogPath = ‘C:\dsc\notepadplus_dsc.log’
}
}
}

NotePadPlus -OutputPath C:\dsc\ -Verbose
Start-DscConfiguration -Path c:\dsc\ -Wait -Verbose -Force

ERROR

VERBOSE: Perform operation ‘Invoke CimMethod’ with following parameters, ‘‘methodName’ = SendConfigurationApply,‘className’ = MSFT_DSCLocalConfigurationManager,‘namespaceName’ = root
/Microsoft/Windows/DesiredStateConfiguration’.
VERBOSE: An LCM method call arrived from computer MAD with user sid S-1-5-21-2686951965-2129314255-1211374589-500.
VERBOSE: The -Force option was specified with the Stop operation. The current configuration has been successfully cancelled.

The console is stuck in the running state form long time…

Thank you in advance.

I’m not sure if this will help, but we install the 32-bit version of Notepad++ using DSC with “/S” as the argument.

Thank’s a lot for your reply, Eric.
However, it didn’t resolve the issue.

Can anyone help me with this, I’m unable to install any of the .exe files…

Thank you in advance

I’m not sure if Package resource will be able to install a NON-MSI package since ProductId is required: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/dsc/packageresource

Also, your ProductId is an empty string, have you tried using the registry key name of HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\Uninstall for this product?

I had the same issue. It was due to the file being downloaded from the internet. I suppose DSC was getting stuck on the file security warning. To resolve, I unblocked the file from file properties.

I distribute all my apps, dsc modules, posh modules with the chocolatey dsc module. This gives you version pining if needed and completly cleanes the dsc configs from any of your dsc configurations.

You can also build your own scripts to Auto update all Packages in your chocolatey repository and you will Not waste a Minute (almost) on searching, packaging, Distribution new software anymore.

It will also assist you a lot, if you ever decide to move to docker for windows.