Discussion: Logging module

by willsteele at 2012-09-16 04:33:31

I have fought logging for PowerShell from a dozen different angles and in the design stages of a module geared towards a hands-free module that PowerShellers can use to log from and to anything. What basic (or advanced) logging systems would you like to see above and beyond the basic, on the box cmdets/features? Also, if you have experimented with a method and fond it to be extrememly fast, slow, difficult, etc, please put details as to what it works/fails so we can built truly robust logging subsystem. I am not trying to knock the current options. They are great. I am just trying to take a HEMI and make it a tank! Feel free to jump on in.
by RichardSiddaway at 2012-09-16 06:07:59
First question is what’s a HEMI?

I think logging is scenario specific. Do I want all the activity of all my cmdlets logged? Definitely not.

Do I want to be able to log activity at some stage - yes but can I define that format of that log now - probably not.

Main options seem to be the Event logs or a text file. if you start going to SQL there will be an overhead. Maybe text file which is pushed into SQL as an option at the end is possibility.

I’m a bit unclear what you are after really - are you proposing a generic logging system of universal applicability?
by oogabooga at 2012-09-19 11:48:59
I’ve been using Splunk at my new gig. Brandon Shell and Tome talked about using it in the last experts conference and it’s been working really great for me.

The guidance I give my team is that if the command / script / function is making changes to a system, or reporting on critical changes, then log it to Splunk. It’s really easy to create dashboards on usage and managers love it because they can see what the scripts are doing from a web console.
by oogabooga at 2012-09-19 11:50:36
Also, Richard a HEMI is a big truck. Will is a Texas boy, so there you go. :stuck_out_tongue:
by RichardSiddaway at 2012-09-19 12:24:28
Thanks - being from the UK I don’t always pick up on terms like that
by willsteele at 2012-09-19 19:16:59
Sorry, yeah, unintentional American reference to a piece of equipment that turns otherwise powerful technology into something "greater".