DefaultAppPool crashes after PullServer Installation

Hi all,

I’m going to share one problem that I noticed and I was not able to find a solution to. Perhaps this will save someone a little troubleshooting time.

Here is the story.
I have a testing server that I wanted to use as a pull server, so I used the latest xPSDesiredStateConfiguration (at this time it’s and everything worked perfectly.
Unfortunately I was using the Default Web Site for hosting a simple html report (generated with PS of course :slight_smile: ) and it stopped working. The DefaultAppPool started to crash with the below errors in the server application and system logs:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-EventLog -LogName Application -Index 97835 | Select-Object -Property EntryType,Source,Message | fl *

EntryType : Error
Source    : W3SVC-WP
Message   : The Module DLL 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\inetsrv\IISSelfSignedCertModule.dll' could not be loaded due to a configuration problem. The current configuration only supports loading images built
            for a AMD64 processor architecture. The data field contains the error number. To learn more about this issue, including how to troubleshooting this kind of processor architecture
            mismatch error, see
PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-EventLog -LogName System -Index 129681 | Select-Object -Property EntryType,Source,Message | fl *

EntryType : Error
Source    : WAS
Message   : Application pool 'DefaultAppPool' is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.

Then I removed the PullServer using the configuration in the examples of xPSDesiredStateConfiguration (Sample_xDscWebServiceRemoval.ps1 to be exact) but the problem remained.
One workaround was to set the DefaultAppPool enable32BitAppOnWin64 setting to True.

PS C:\Windows\system32> (Get-ItemProperty -Path IIS:\AppPools\DefaultAppPool -Name enable32BitAppOnWin64).Value

That works but I wanted to revert to the original state so here is what I did:

  1. Remove Native Module “IISSelfSignedCertModule(32bit)” from the IIS (server level)
  2. Remove file “IISSelfSignedCertModule.dll” from C:\Windows\SysWOW64\inetsrv and C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv

That’s it.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for sharing. I had exactly similar problem. This solution worked like a charm.