create usermaps through information in TXTfile

by SusXT at 2012-08-22 11:00:53

SOLUTION on page3!

I’m totaly new into Powershell.
I have found a script to create usermaps. As administrator I want to be the owner and the user must have all permissions.

My question is : how does the users.txt file looks like?

$Users = Get-Content "C:\Users.txt"
ForEach ($user in $users)
{
$newPath = Join-Path "\myserver\Users$" -childpath $user
New-Item $newPath -type directory

$acl = Get-Acl $newpath
$permission = "mydomain$user","FullControl","Allow"
$accessRule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemAccessRule $permission
$acl.SetAccessRule($accessRule)
$acl | Set-Acl $newpath
}
by DonJ at 2012-08-22 11:04:08
So, my guess is that it’s one username per line. Given how it seems to be used.
by SusXT at 2012-08-22 11:11:52
So the file is like this?

rpatterson
tjohnson
mhawkins

And what if there is other content in the TXTfile? Like the name of the departement?

rpatterson r&d
tjohnson personel
mhawkins engineering

How will PS know what’s the username and what’s the departement?
by JeffH at 2012-08-22 11:22:42
If there is other information, then you need some way to delimit it or identify each line. This also assumes the file is structured and consistent. The easiest approach is to use Import-CSV specifying some sort of delimiter if other than a comma. But that also requires you to specify a header or one isn’t in the file. An alternative is go through each line and parse out the data you need.

You can get specific guidance here once you let us know the file format.
by DonJ at 2012-08-22 13:17:25
Based on what your existing script is doing, yes it would be as you typed it. Jeff’s point about using a CSV file is dead-on - although you’ll have to do some re-writing of your script to deal with that different data format.
by SusXT at 2012-08-22 13:26:41
[quote="JeffH"]

You can get specific guidance here once you let us know the file format.[/quote]

It’s still an XLS.
by JeffH at 2012-08-22 15:36:07
I had a reply but now I don’t see it. Can you save the XLS sheet as a CSV file? That would make life much easier.
by SusXT at 2012-08-23 00:52:24
Yep, that’s the easiest part for me :slight_smile:

This is what de CVS looks like:

Name;Firstname;Username;Password;Password Coaccount;
AlonsoSanchez;Yacintha;AlonsoSanchezYacintha;yhjkkjMD;M;1A1x;r7ZJ3E8;zZMG4T6
Appermont;Emmy;AppermontEmmy;e7jklmjk;M;1A1x;d68E2V6;v65W264

What do I have to do so PS knows what’s the mapname? (=username)

Edit : I run the script with only the username in the TXT file. He reads the name so that works.
We are making progress. The folders with usernames are created. But the script doesn’t run properly. He supposed to setup permissions, but fails. (See underlined)

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
---- ------------- ------ ----
d---- 23/08/2012 14:33 testleerling
Exception calling "SetAccessRule" with "1" argument(s): "Some or all identity references could not be translated."
At C:\Users\Administrator\testscript.ps1:10 char:19
+ $acl.SetAccessRule <<<< ($accessRule)
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:slight_smile: , MethodInvocationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

by JeffH at 2012-08-23 05:43:17
AccessDenied is obviously a permissions issue. PowerShell can’t help you if you don’t have permission. This is most likely an NTFS permission issue.

If this is a user’s home folder I can see where this might be an issue. What you might want to do is use Test-Path to verify it exists, and if not, then create it.
by SusXT at 2012-08-23 06:12:36
We are making progress.
I allready created Users and set the permissions, but after removing the Users-folder, it works.
The folders with usernames are created. But the script doesn’t run properly. He supposed to setup permissions, but fails. (See underlined) He supposed to give all permissions to the specefied user. So only Testleerling must have permissions to the folder, not other users. The must have permissions to theire own folder. The administrator must be owner of all userfolders so I can make backups through synchronisation.

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
---- ------------- ------ ----
d---- 23/08/2012 14:33 testleerling
Exception calling "SetAccessRule" with "1" argument(s): "Some or all identity references could not be translated."
At C:\Users\Administrator\testscript.ps1:10 char:19
+ $acl.SetAccessRule <<<< ($accessRule)
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:slight_smile: , MethodInvocationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

by JeffH at 2012-08-23 06:24:00
You may not have the right object types.

[System.Security.Principal.NTAccount]$principal="domain$user"
$accessRule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemAccessRule $principal,"FullControl","Allow"
by SusXT at 2012-08-23 06:31:28
Hmm… the user does not exist yet. Think that may be the problem…ofcourse.
by SusXT at 2012-08-23 07:13:36
[quote="SusXT"]Hmm… the user does not exist yet. Think that may be the problem…ofcourse.[/quote]

Nope, still doesn’t work af adding the user.
by JeffH at 2012-08-23 07:31:31
Are you specifically creating a security principal object? Your list of names is just a the samaccountname, right? Is everything in the same domain? Could there be replication delays between domain controllers for the new account?
by SusXT at 2012-08-23 08:24:49
[quote="JeffH"]Are you specifically creating a security principal object? Yes, if i understand you correctly.

Your list of names is just a the samaccountname, right? Yes

Is everything in the same domain? yes

Could there be replication delays between domain controllers for the new account? No, I’m only testing virtual.

[/quote]
by SusXT at 2012-08-23 08:47:07
[quote="JeffH"]You may not have the right object types.

[System.Security.Principal.NTAccount]$principal="domain$user"
$accessRule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemAccessRule $principal,"FullControl","Allow"[/quote]

Add these lines to the script? Where?
by JeffH at 2012-08-23 09:00:40
I looked at your original post. I don’t know what code you are using now.
by JeffH at 2012-08-23 09:02:18
Could the existing access rule have entries that can’t be resolved?
by SusXT at 2012-08-23 09:39:59
[quote="JeffH"]I looked at your original post. I don’t know what code you are using now.[/quote]

$Users = Get-Content "C:\Users.txt"
{
$newPath = Join-Path "\myserver\Users$" -childpath $user

$acl = Get-Acl $newpath
$accessRule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemAccessRule $permission
$acl | Set-Acl $newpath
}

[quote="JeffH"]Could the existing access rule have entries that can’t be resolved?[/quote][quote="JeffH"]Could the existing access rule have entries that can’t be resolved?[/quote]

The script generates the access rules. I’ll check later if he get access rules from above.
by JeffH at 2012-08-23 10:37:56
I would replace these 2 lines

with

[System.Security.Principal.NTAccount]$principal="mydomain$user"
$accessRule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemAccessRule $principal,"FullControl","Allow"
by SusXT at 2012-08-23 12:13:27
Thanks for the suggestion, but still the same result.
When searching Google I find that the users do not exist. I’ll try running the script on our real server tomorow at work.
by SusXT at 2012-08-24 05:32:08
It works almost. The domainname wasn’t correct. But another problem. The user has rights to this "usernamefolder" only, not the subfolders. What do I have to add to the script so the user has rights for this usernamefolder and subfolders?

This is what I’ve found, but I don’t know where to put it in the script : icacls.exe $folder /grant ‘$domain$user:(OI)(CI)(M)’

This is my script so far :
$Users = Get-Content "d:\DeelmapAdmin\scripts\users.txt"
{
$newPath = Join-Path "d:\LLhome\b" -childpath $user

$acl = Get-Acl $newpath
[System.Security.Principal.NTAccount]$principal="MSM.local$user"
$acl | Set-Acl $newpath
}
by poshoholic at 2012-08-24 09:06:31
Just FYI, there is another discussion going on (still in progress) that is related to this, over here: http://powershell.org/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=102. You might want to take a look at that discussion and see if you can compare with your approach, identify the issue.
by JeffH at 2012-08-24 09:08:32
Permissions are just plain difficult to manage with a script. If you can solve the problem with a command line tool like icacls then I say get it done and move on.
by SusXT at 2012-08-24 09:41:33
It thought an icacls was a commandline in a PSscript. Powershell is new. Icacls is totaly new. I’ll google it right away. Thanks.
by SusXT at 2012-08-28 05:06:46
SOLUTION

It works! Folders by username are created. Administrator is Owner and the user has All Persmissions on This folder, Subfolders and Files.

$Users = Get-Content "d:\users.txt"
{
$newPath = Join-Path "d:\FOLDERNAME" -childpath $user
$inherit = [system.security.accesscontrol.InheritanceFlags]"ContainerInherit, ObjectInherit"
$propagation = [system.security.accesscontrol.PropagationFlags]"None"
$acl = Get-Acl $newpath
[System.Security.Principal.NTAccount]$principal="MYDOMAIN$user"
$accessRule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemAccessRule $principal,"FullControl", $inherit, $propagation,"Allow"
$acl | Set-Acl $newpath
}
by poshoholic at 2012-08-28 05:25:01
Excellent! Thanks for letting us know you worked it out!