Can't add Windows System Variable

Hello,

I got error when I tried to use Windows Batch file and Powershell PS1 file to add a System Environment Variable:

Powershell PS1 file:
[System.Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable(“TestVariable02”, “Test value 02”, “Machine”);

Windows Batch file:
powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command “C:\Details\Powershell\test.ps1”

Error:
Exception calling “SetEnvironmentVariable” with “3” argument(s): “Requested registry access is not allowed.”

My Windows login account has already been added to the local Administrator Group.
But still got the above error.
However, if I used local Administrator to login and then ran the BAT file, it worked fine. No error.

How can I fix the error? Where is the cause of the error?

You have start the cmd “as administrator” even if your account is already local Administrator. But why do you use a batch file to run a powershell script? You can run the Powershell script directly (but anyway you have to run it “as administrator”).

Thanks.

I ran it as a batch file as I wanted to run it in schedule.
You suggested ‘Run as administrator’, but how can we do it if we run a powershell script in schedule?

I don’t have an english client at the moment to look it up but it should be on the first tab when you create a new scheduled task and it should be something like execute or run with highest privileges.

… found this screenshot …

Schedlued Tasks … it’s almost on the bottom …

you can run powershell directly from scheduler, and tick ‘execute with highghest privileges’

you can even run

powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command “[System.Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable(‘TestVariable02’, ‘Test value 02’, ‘Machine’)”
if you need to run only this command