Bug in PS V4 ping > ctrl + pause > ctrl+c closes

Hi all.
Actually I’m learning powershell in mva. I’m finishing basic powershell V3.0 and advanced scripting courses.
I have powershell V4 installed in my two machines (personal and job computers). One with Windows 7 x64 and other with Windows 8.1 update 1 x64. In basic course they said that is better to use powershell for anything and not classic cmd.

Can anyone confirm that this is a powershell’s bug?

1-Open powershell v4 as admin.
2-ping anything with -t (example ping 8.8.8.8 -t)
3-Use ctrl + pause to see if there any loss packets
4-Wait a ping response (or more).
5-Press ctrl + c to break ping command.
6-Powershell’s console closes inmediately.

This doesn’t happens in ISE. In ISE a ctrl + pause breaks ping command and ctrl +c too.

Is this a normal behaviour? Or it’s a bug?
I use ping command very much, I want to know if there is any other way to do that.

Thank you very much for your work.
Greetings from Barcelona!

It’s likely a bug in the console app, not PowerShell itself. You should report it at Connect.Microsoft.com, but the console app is very old and does’t receive a lot of attention these days.

If you use Ping.exe, you’re not even running PowerShell - it shells out to Cmd.exe to run that. You could use Test-Connection instead.

Thanks for your answer. Then I’ll use cmd to ping and not powershell… I’m testing Test-Connection now, thanks.
I’ve noticed that if i press ctrl + pause/break closes powershell’s console without sending any command too.
What do you mean with “console app is very old”? we need to use it to work with powershell.
I know that ISE is better. Maybe I must use ISE and not “classic” powershell console?

The “classic” console application is basically the same one Cmd.exe uses. It’s an old piece of software, and it isn’t owned by the PowerShell team, so they have limited abilities to fix its problems. The ISE is definitely newer and better-maintained. I’m not saying you don’t need the console, I’m saying it’s an old piece of software dating back to the late 1980s - so you’re likely to run into the occasional problem, which might not be specifically PowerShell’s fault.