Accessing Skydrive docs

by willsteele at 2012-09-11 14:23:23

Anyone know how to work with documents in a Skydrive via PowerShell?
by DonJ at 2012-09-11 14:27:53
There’s no official support from MS. There’s not even an official API to code against, although see http://skydriveapiclient.codeplex.com.
by poshoholic at 2012-09-11 14:39:06
Will, have you downloaded the most recent release of Windows Essentials? It adds a SkyDrive folder to your user profile (Gee, I wonder where they got that idea? Anyway…). Then you just need to connect for it to sync up. You can do that by dropping a simple file into that folder (I just threw in a small text file), and Windows Essentials detects the file and immediately goes through a mini set-up wizard to get you connected to your SkyDrive. Once connected, it syncs the content into that folder, at which point you can manage your SkyDrive documents using the core cmdlets that come with PowerShell because it’s just part of the file system that is automatically sync’ed with SkyDrive in the cloud.
by DonJ at 2012-09-11 14:42:23
So, at that level, sure - you’re just interacting with a local folder and SkyDrive’s client is handling the rest. I don’t think of that as "working with SkyDrive" because you’re not, really. I do the same thing with Dropbox, SugarSync - all those services work in generally the same way, and it’s more or less transparent to PowerShell.
by poshoholic at 2012-09-11 14:53:33
I agree, not quite the same as working directly with the documents in the cloud, but it’s a pretty close second with almost no barrier to entry, and the end-result is pretty much the same if all you are doing is adding and removing files from the cloud "mirror" on your local HD.
by willsteele at 2012-09-11 15:51:41
No, I hadn’t downloaded the Windows Essentials yet. I like that approach. Until they release something formal, that will work fine for me. It would be nice to be able to hit data via the web instead of having to do that work around though. I really like the idea of being able to post an .xlsx doc live on the web and being able to work directly against that. Another idea, another day.